Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Loft Transformed to Family Room

Another day, another tour! I want to show you our upstairs loft. I’ve tried to use it  in several different ways and none of them seemed to work. It has wonderful light, high ceilings, and large windows. However, it doesn’t have a closet or any privacy. So it’s not practical for a bedroom.

Here it is before I ripped up the stained carpet.

IMG_2274

IMG_2272

Yuck! I pulled up the carpet and put a couple of coats of Sherwin Williams porch paint on the plywood. After new paint on the walls and the addition of my “bleached” couch, it started to come together.

Here it is now.

IMG_4144

My favorite part of the room is the light fixture which replaced an outdated ceiling fan. I fished it out of the dumpster of a furniture store! No, I didn’t go digging around. I was driving by and saw them as they were throwing it away. I asked if I could have it and actually scored two of them! The coffee table was $10. at a garage sale. I had to literally dig it out of the garage. Of course it had an ugly, old finish on it that begged to be covered with paint. The pillows I made myself.

We have loved the loft as a family room and I think that it will stay that way for a long while.

IMG_4146

I’m still working on getting the tv side of the room looking like I want it to. Ugly cords showing aren’t my favorite.

The best part is that it got the tv out of my smallish living room. Now when my grown kids come over, there’s room for everyone to hang out.

What do you think? Good use of this space? What would you use it for?

Tanya

3 comments:

  1. oh tanya it's fabulous. and i love the stories behind the furnishings--cooooooool! the light fixture is AWESOME. please please dig in their dumpster for another one for me. i would totally lounge here with my design books and a diet coke and chocolate. bravo.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love every bit of this. I made a console for our flat screen tv out of a curb side find of a dresser that was missing a drawer. I pulled out the other on the top and put in a shelf.Cut holes for the cord but the tv on top and the game console and dvd player on the shelf were the drawers where. In the remaining drawers I store games and dvds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my dresser. I am so glad you did. I am enjoying checking out your blog. Love you decor! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.