Monday, July 11, 2011

Living Room Reveal

Here we go. A little tour of some changes that I’ve made. I got rid of a lot of “stuff” that I just didn’t love. The only money that I spent was on two vintage chairs and a very used ottoman , which I slipcovered. Otherwise I shopped the house.

IMG_4139

IMG_4127

I’ve really pared down a lot of the clutter. Some of the elements that I wanted to include were:

IMG_4115

IMG_4113

I pulled my Ikea Ektorp couch out of my bedroom and added some squishy, down pillows. I already had the fabric and pillow forms in my stash. The curtains from my bedroom also came in here to soften the blinds at the window and cut down on glare.

IMG_4133

I purchased two vintage chairs off of Craig’s list and I’ve slipcovered one of them. The other one is still a work in progress. I followed Miss Mustard Seeds’s video tutorial. She’s a genius!

IMG_4107

IMG_4121

A couple of pillows on a trunk turn it into extra seating.

IMG_4099

A couple of hand-made pieces organized my entry area with style. Rob made this coat rack out of vintage hooks that I found at a flea market.

IMG_4126

A painted table with casters added for height was just right to place under my twig mirror as well as a place for much needed extra lighting.

IMG_4102

IMG_4111

I usually shy away from too much collecting of things that aren’t useful. However, I do have a rock collection that the whole family enjoys. I say the more unique your collection, the better.

IMG_4109

IMG_4141

A collection of vases.

IMG_4119

A collection of ferns held in terrariums brings the outdoors inside.

IMG_4103

Even river rocks can look beautiful when placed inside of a pretty container. I love their texture.

IMG_4105

Vintage dictionary pages rolled up in a jar add a fun touch on the entry table.

IMG_4123

If you limit your colors to two or three, even unrelated items look like they belong together.

There you have it. A tiny tour of a living room that used to drive me crazy. Now it feels relaxed, personalized, and a lot more completed. Will there be more changes to come? Of course. But they will likely be just small changes instead of the big chucking of everything in the room that happened recently!

I hope you like it. Tomorrow, I’ll show you how I transformed our messy loft into a fun and funky family room. Say that five times fast!

Tanya

I’m participating in White Wednesday and Transformation Monday. Go check ‘em out!

8 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job! I love all of the texture in this room, so cozy. I could sit and read for hours. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aack - come and finish my chair slipcover for me:)

    Everything looks just beautiful! Very fresh and comfy (love the kitty photo). You did good on your slip I hope mine turns out as good. Miss Mustard Seed is a very nice person to have those videos isn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this room - so light and fresh. Everything is perfect - very magazine worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful. So happy to be a new follower from White Wednesday.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it's the earthy and surprises you added, the antlers, the ball of twine. The rolls in the jar. I found you at white Wednesday. I am follower 67 now.
    Pop over and visit sometime.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the twig mirror and the terrariums. i started a terrarium last year that i picked up while visiting the olympic national rainforest, but it's in a sad, sad state...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were your white lamps a redo? I have some just like them that were brown. I painted them orange and I love them! I love yours in white too! ~ Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, yes they were originally brown. I spray painted them gloss white. I've debated about putting a silver finish on them too. Orange sounds really cute!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.