Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thrifty Decorating with Garage Sale Finds

I have Garage sale goodies all over my house. Sometimes they started out as treasure, but often I have to apply some tlc.
I could get carried away with picture frames. The big, chunky molding type frames are my favorite. I found a huge one for just a few dollars. I spray painted it white and just held onto it, until…
IMG_4072
I turned it into a chalkboard of course. Maybe you’re tired of seeing chalkboards but around here we actually use them a lot. This one is in the perfect place, across from our large kitchen island, to write a menu for a party. (Yes, everything is about the upcoming baby shower at this point.)
IMG_4070
So many to choose from but I have to show you my repurposed sewing table. I bought it for $15. at a sale. It was in their garage and in rough shape. My intention was to put it in my garage and use it as a potting table. But then Rob worked a little magic on it and I had to have it somewhere more deserving.
It started out like this.
IMG_2105
After a lot of sanding and removing rotted plywood on the bottom, it went to this.
IMG_2117
Finally, here it is in the “nook” of my bedroom where I sew.
IMG_4076
This is actually a sitting area that we never sit in, no matter what furniture I place in there. I decided to use it for a practical purpose. I get to look out the window at my side yard while I'm crafting. On the bottom of the table you can see that we added scrap wood. My serger and printer are parked down there for now.
I also put up a bulletin board that I found at a sale. I covered it with burlap and upholstery tacks. It felt too cluttered with the traditional pictures, etc. on it. Instead I hung up all of my twine and string where it’s easily accessible.
IMG_4078 
I’m linking up with Nester for her Garage sale find party and The Shabby Chic Cottage, so go on over there and check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya, thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your comment. I really like your finds a lot! I am working on putting together a little space for creating myself. Your sewing nook is adorable. I love the yellow chair.

    I have a frame kind of similar to the one in your first photo but it has a mirror in it. We just moved and I can't quite find where it is right now but when I locate it I am thinking it may be just the thing to cover up an ugly space in my new laundry room and also make the room seem more open. I got it for $5 in someone's garage when I went to buy some end tables they had on craigslist. I walked away with the two end tables, mirror, a wheelbarrow and a fun, funky metal thing for $25! Yippee! Kelly

    p.s. the pottery barn knock off nook thing is really great too. maybe you could add some little label things that you can get at craft/scrapbook stores I think if you want to make it even more like it. But I don't think it even needs that. Are those baby bottles with candles in them? Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome way to use this cute table. Good for you and your handy hubby. :)_
    Love that big ole chalk board above your found cubby. Love it all together...as soon as you paint it, I wanna see...:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a big chalkboard! This looks fantastic and I am loving your cubby with all your fun white in there!

    New follower!

    Megan

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the mirror! Great finds! Found you via The Nester. :) You can see my link here...

    http://mandyford.blogspot.com/2011/06/cheap-pedicure.html

    Happy Weekend!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a fantastic vignette!
    Have a happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That table is just perfect isn't it! Great use of space. Also love the chalkboard - I rarely use mine but I like the way they look.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.