Monday, October 4, 2010

More Creativity than Cash

I was recently browsing through Germain’s website. I love their use of muted colors and natural elements. It’s just the look I’ve been working toward in my cottage.

blog

It occurred to me that this look is more about styling a room than having lots of cash to throw at it.  A hutch painted an organic gray, and glass jars with branches lined up on a table, are ideas that most of us could put into our own dining rooms.

 

 

blog2

blog3

Love the gray sofa and I’m sure it’s pricey. However, find a neutral upholstered sofa or chair on Craig’s list, put some fabulous gray pillows on it, and you have the same look.

 

 

 

 

blog4

Antlers in a basket. So much texture and neutral hues to get excited about. Antlers might be hard to come by but large pebbles in a jar, or smooth driftwood in a vintage basket would give a similar effect.

 

blog5

blog6

I’m absolutely crazy about the cow picture and the rusty lockers. At first I thought the cow was a painting (and I’m no painter) but then realized that it’s nothing but a picture, blown up. I can do that!

 

 

blog7

This table is so pretty and yet so simple. Most of us probably already have some white dishes and a glass jar to work with. Again, note to self, be on the lookout for antlers. I just passed some up at a garage sale and I’m kicking myself. The zinc table top could be faux painted. There are some great tutorials out there in blog land. I’m really considering it for my dining table.

 

 

 

blog8

 

blog9

Accessories from nature always give me a calm and happy feeling. A little bit of soft green thrown in gives a beautiful, organic feel. I can see so much flexibility with this palette. I’m inspired and I hope you are too.

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this calm and pretty look and you're right it looks easy to imitate without breaking the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Germain's look too.....relaxing. Thank you for stopping by my blog with those very nice comments....sincerely appreciated, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tanya for your visit, your comment on the buffet having great legs was way to cute!

    The whole natural tone on tone look is all me all the way! Loon at some of my older posting and you will see some of the french piece with a driftwood look to the French pieces in my home!

    I too am into the dirty soft gray's it just reminds me of an over cast foggy day at the beach, yet so euro chic.

    Love your inspiration over here and you inspired me! See you soon
    xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some very creative ideas thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only was it interesting reading this post- your descriptions were the best part.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

    I'll be back-
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    I am a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the big beams and the cow picture!

    My SOuthern Front Porch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tour. Beautiful space and I love, love, love that sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cow picture too. I once saw someone do something similar . ..admired their picture and found out they took it themselves. Since then. .I am always blowing up pictures for different seasons and switching up my seasonal decor.
    Lovella from Mennnonite Girls can Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to get the look without paying too much! Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.