Saturday, June 20, 2009

Blueberry Season is Here!

We went Blueberry picking today, which is a good thing. Blueberries are packed with vitamin C. In one cup you'll find about a fourth of what you need in a day. They're also a great source of fiber with four grams in that same cup. Besides all of their many nutritional assets, they taste delicious! I was never a big fan of blueberry pie with it's syrupy goo and mushy berries. But then I ate them fresh off of the bush. A completely different taste that is a must try. The ripe berries are plump and dark blue. They may even have a little bit of a powdery look to them. Pass over the mushy or blemished ones. If you're like me, you won't mind the berries with a little tinge of red still on them. These are a little more tart and are delicious for cobbler.
We have several pick your own farms in our area. They're worth finding. You might try asking at your Farmer's Market for a local u-pick farm. If all else fails, local produce stands and markets should have fresh berries. Put them on ice cream, cereal, yogurt, make a cobbler, or eat them fresh. You won't regret it!
top picture from: www.justdesserts.com

10 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya ~~ :0) Blueberries are wonderful!! I buy them frozen and thaw out for my cereal in the AM. Aren't they just wonderful?

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. If you are interested in the drapes, I may be making another trip up to IKEA in a week or two. They are 19.99 for two panels, tab tob and about 2 feet wide (I'd have to go measure). Email me if you are interested and I can pick them up for you. (Hopefully they will be in stock).

    Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Becky. I would love to get some of the drapes but I'm actually looking for some that I can attach to clip rings. I'll probably just end up making them. Another project on the list! You are so sweet to offer and I just might ask you to pick something else up in the future (if you don't mind :)). How do you feel about a couch? Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanya, found you while blog-hopping...we enjoyed our visit very much. Thank you for sharing and stop by some day and say Hello! We'd love to have you over!
    Marcela & Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blueberries are high in antioxidants! Every morning I go out and pick some blueberries for breakfast. I prefer them fresh also.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcela & Clara, I'm stopping by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manuela, we planted 3 blueberry bushes this spring. They're small but they do have berries on them. Can't wait for them to be big so I can pick them each morning like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE blueberries. I could eat them until I have a stomache ache.

    Yummy!!
    xx-Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tanya, so nice to have you over! We have no idea how you manage your swimsuit shopping but you go girl!!!
    LOL!We hope you get to enjoy it a whole lot this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this blueberry post! We might be moving back to southwest missouri, and wondered where the blueberry farms are? Was it terribly hot when you were picking? I'm just not sure I can bear the heat after all these years...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have several in our area but the one we went to is in Pea Ridge. Just head down 62 past the Rogers airport and you'll see a huge sign on the left. It was pretty hot the morning we went. Part of the problem was the fact that a lot of the berries weren't ripe yet, so it took longer to pick. The owner mentioned that she opens at 7am. I think I'll plan on being very early next time to beat the heat! Let me know if you move and maybe we could meet!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.