Monday, January 26, 2009

Before and After

We are making progress! You'll see in the before photo where the lovely flourescent lights used to be. I guess it was a hot trend in the early eighties to build low ceilings and then cram some flourescent light fixtures in just to increase the cave-like, nauseaous feeling that you get when you walk in the room! The horrid lights have finally been eradicated in my kitchen. I still have my laundry room and master bathroom to banish them from. Can you imagine putting on make-up under this lighting? Not so flattering. Anyway, we found these schoolhouse lights at Lowe's on clearance for $3. each. I think that they look cottagey enough to hold me over until I find my dream fixtures. So far in this kitchen we have painted the cabinets (from golden oak to cottage white), put in a new tile floor, moved the old, puny island to the wall and added a new, large one that we made out of repurposed cabinets, put in a french door, made openings to the dining room, added a pantry, installed recessed lighting, and now these lights. Phew! We still have new countertops, backsplash and ceiling (beadboard) to install. These quickie, inexpensive make-overs aren't either one! Hope you like our before and after. Let there be light............

4 comments:

  1. Love those pendant lights over the counter! Your kitchen is looking great! P
    painting cabinets is such a tedious labor involved process but worth it - they look great!

    Thanks for stopping by - glad you liked my fireplace makeover!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe that you got those great lights for $3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for visiting Cottage Glamour and for your kind comments. I really do appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so much better!

    I can't wait to see what perfect lights you eventually find.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.