Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thrift Store Cottage Lighting

When we first moved into our house five years ago, there were several changes that I wanted to make right away. The first order of business were the exterior house lights. I had no budget to run out and buy three new fixtures. However, I've never been one to let "lack of funds" deter me from decorating!
I found these cottage style lanterns in a thrift store. They were dirty brass and no one was paying much attention to them. I spotted the wonderful shape, bubble glass, and hinged doors! I whisked them up to the counter and ask for a price. "Oh, three dollars each." I just about passed out but instead I quickly paid the clerk. I still didn't know if they would light up when we connected them to power. As you can see, all it took was some primer and spray paint to get these beauties ready for cottage life. Mr. CG installed them and they've been charming us ever since. Much better than the black, stove pipe looking lights that were up there before! What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I like the white!
    Looks nice.
    May you have a terrific Thanksgiving.
    God Bless,
    d from homehaven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that style! Paint is a budget decorator's best friend - they look great!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law decorated our Retail store/Milking parlor by finding great buys on Craig's list. Even got a ton of stuff for FREE. Decorating doesn't have to be too expensive if you have imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have guessed that these came from a thrift store. LOVE the light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous find & a job well done Tanya! These look just wonderful.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.