Sunday, June 28, 2009

Knock, knock...

The front door is certainly the first impression of your home and style. I recently had to do a lot of thinking about this when I chose a new entry door for my cottage. How to get the "wow" factor? Something that offers curb appeal, but is also unique to my decorating style? It can be tough to do on a budget. Last weekend I was in the historic neighborhood of Maple Ridge in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The homeowners have a fabulous solution for their front doors. Signature color! Classic black looks rich and beautiful with this brick facade. Notice the taupe accent on the post and the charcoal shutters. No matchy matchy here. But it all works together. Since I have a blue house, a red door would not be my first choice. However, I love it on this adorable house. The landscaping really leads a visitor right up to the landing. A blue door. Notice again that they didn't trim the windows in the same color. More of a rosy red. This has to be one of my favorites. Lace curtains peaking out the window of a turquoise door. It looks as if some antiquing has been applied over the paint. Melon colors. So pretty. Another classic red. It's a bold move to paint your door pink but I think the inviting cottage result was worth the risk. What do you think? These homeowners aren't afraid of color. This canary yellow door made us stop in our tracks (or in our car anyway) ! The ceiling of the porch is also painted a light turquoise. Something tells me the owners of this house are anything but boring! This brings us to the conclusion of our tour. I hope that you're convinced to try some signature color on your entry door. I know I am. I haven't decided what color yet but this much I know. It won't be white!

2 comments:

  1. I love brightly colored doors. Your idea of adding a beautiful color to make a great first impression is a good one. White doors can be boring, but a bright door pops:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Kathleen Grace. I've always had a white front door, but after visiting this neighborhood, I'm determined to put some color on it!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? You've made my day! I love to meet new friends and hear from old ones.